“…branding is your fundamental promise of whom you serve, how you make them feel and what’s different about how you deliver. Marketing is how you get this message out there once you have defined it”
I plucked this line from the book TWIST: How Fresh Perspectives Build Breakthrough Brands by Julie Cottineau, the founder of Brand School.
I loved the simplicity by which she explained what is branding and how it is different from marketing. This thought motivated me to curate and share some quotes on branding which I find interesting. In particular, I’m sharing the branding quotes which have inspired me and motivated my work. Most importantly, they have made me take a pause and ponder on business branding related decisions.
For instance, one of my favourites is this brand quote by Seth Godin:
“A brand is the set of expectations, memories, stories and relationships that, taken together, account for a consumer’s decision to choose one product or service over another.”
It’s interesting how well crafted words have the power to impact. I’m sharing these nuggets of wisdom from the brightest minds with you. Get motivated, inspired or guided- whichever way it helps you to make better branding decisions.
BRANDING QUOTES (GENERAL)
1.”Your brand is a story unfolding across all customer touch points.” -Jonah Sachs
2. “Products are made in a factory,
but brands are created in the mind.”-Walter Landor
3. “A brand is no longer what we tell the consumer it is—it is what consumers tell each other it is.” – Scott Cook
4. “Branding is the art of differentiation” -David Brier
5. “Positioning is finding the right parking space inside the consumer’s mind and going for it before someone else takes it.” -Laura Busche
6. “Every interaction in any form, is branding.” -Seth Godin
7. “Brand is the sum total of how someone perceives a particular organisation.
Branding is about shaping that perception.” -Ashley Friedlein
8.”Design is the silent ambassador of your brand.” -Paul Rand
9. “If you don’t give the market the story to talk about, they’ll define your brand’s story for you.” -David Brier
10. “A brand for a company is like a reputation for a person.
You earn reputation by trying to do hard things well.” -Jeff Bezos
11. “It takes 20 years to build a reputation and five minutes to ruin it.
If you think about that, you’ll do things differently.” -Warren Buffett
12. “People relate to people, and if your brand feels like people, they’ll relate to you, too.” -Laura Busche
13. “A brand is a promise.
A good brand is a promise kept.” -Muhtar Kent
14. “Of all the things that your company owns, brands are far and away the most important and the toughest.
Founders die. Factories burn down. Machinery wears out. Inventories get depleted. Technology becomes obsolete.
Brand loyalty is the only sound foundation on which business leaders can build enduring, profitable growth.” -Jim Mullen
15. “You have to stay true to your heritage; that’s what your brand is about.” -Alice Temperley
16. “Branding is the process of connecting good strategy with good creativity.” -Marty Neumeier
17. “Define what your brand stands for, its core values and tone of voice, and then communicate consistently in those terms.” -Simon Mainwaring
18. “A brand is the promise of an experience.” -Alexander Isley
CORPORATE BRANDING QUOTES
19. “You’re only as good as the people you hire.” –Ray Kroc
20. “A brand is what business does and reputation is what people remember” -Ted Rubin
21. “The power of the brand is not in the name but what has been invested in that name over the years.” -Bernard Kelvin Clive
22. “Your brand name is only good as your reputation.” -Richard Branson
INTERNAL BRANDING QUOTES
23. “Brands are built from within … [they] have very little to do with promises made through advertising. They’re all about promises met by employees.” –Ian Buckingham
24. “Happiness in the workplace is a strategic advantage. Service comes from the heart, and people who feel cared for will care more.” -Hal Rosenbluth
25. “Your culture is your brand.” -Tony Hsieh
26. “The heart of building a market-focused culture is to create an employment brand that is consistent with the customer brand.” -H. Rao & R. Dewar
27. “You don’t build business, you build people and then people build the business.” -Zig Ziglar
28. “If you get the culture right, most of the other stuff will just take care of itself.” -Tony Hseih
PERSONAL BRANDING QUOTES
29. “Your personal brand is a promise to your clients… a promise of quality, consistency, competency, and reliability.” -Jason Hartman
30. “Brand yourself for the career you want, not the job you have.” -Dan Schawbel
31. “Passion is personal branding fuel.” -Dan Schawbel
32. “Personal branding is not about you. It’s about putting your stamp on the value you deliver to others.” –William Arruda
33. “If you want to build a personal brand, make sure you spend time building an audience.” -Mario Peshev
34. “Your personal brand determines the kind of leadership influence you’ll provide.” -Israelmore Ayivor
35. “No one will follow you if you don’t know where you are going.” -Jack Trout
36. “The success of your personal brand is hooked to your character, not your brand tangibles” -Bernard Kelvin Clive
37. “Your brand is what people say about you when you are not in the room” -Jeff Bezos
If I’ve missed a branding quote that you find motivational or if this selection has inspired you to make some changes in the way you approach branding, be sure to tweet me at @SachdevaSupriya or @OhDesignStudio.
Also please share this post with a friend who you think may find this useful and inspiring, thanks!
About OH! Design Studio
OH! Design Studio is a full-service branding agency in India.
Founded in 2006, OH! Design Studio is an integrated creative and digital agency with a passion for launching, rebranding and accelerating brands. Our goal is to create lasting and meaningful relationships between our client’s brand and their audience through distinct brand experiences.